Monday, January 11, 2010

Costume plans for 2010

As you saw earlier I started my costuming year with a sewing marathon that was a bit to much work in too little time. I did not like it. My fantastic M did not like it. So now I'm giving myself and M a late new years resolution:

NO COSTUMING ON DEADLINE THIS YEAR!

With that taken care of, here are my "list" for 2010:

1. Started projects that needs to be finished or things that needs to be mended
Pet en l'air - Needs to have the gown properly fastened to the comperes front and hooks & eyes sewn in. It also needs to have some raw edges on the front sewn in.
My pocket - I have finished all the embroidery and the supporting lining is cut. It only needs to be assembled.
Under petticoat - I did a poor job around the pocket opening on one side so the side seam are rewinding itself.
A wide brimmed hat - I have made the base after this great instructions, it only needs covering and decoration.

2. New projects

A jacket made of pink cotton damask that I bought before christmas. I will use one out of PoF 1 for inspiration but I will make it without stomacher. I want ot make it so I can use it both with pocket hoops for an earlier style and with a false rump for a later style.

The damask are really hard to photograph, the color varies between different light sources. The picture above is in artificial light in my studio. The picture below is taken outside on a cloudy day. The real color is something in between them...


A false rump - I have the outer material and I'm planning to make it a bit like the wingeo style (but I will make the pattern myself). I have not decided what to fill it with yet...I might slaughter an old pillow for this since my budget is a bit tight.

A floaty petticoat inspired by The Duchess movie. I've found a perfect, satin striped cotton voile over at B.R Export for this project.

An under petticoat to go with the floaty one

A 1780,s pierrot from "Kvinnligt mode under tvÄ sekel" (a swedish book about 18th and 19th century fashion). When I saw this garment the first time I thought "OMG the red cotton velvet in my stash!" and I have been in love with it since then. I will line it with the infamous ANNELI fabric in black and white.

And I need a Gainsborough hat to go with my new later wardrobe. I have all materials for this one at home already. It will be covered with some black velvet I have in my stash and I will make a sash out of the floaty petticoat fabric. And black feathers. I have two great, fluffy ostrich plumes that have been living with me forever :P
(Yes I got inspired by The Duchess movie again)

3. Long term project

A new pair of stays. I want them to have front and back lacing and be suitable for late 18th century and be fully boned in the front. I have the foundation layer fabric already. I scored a really stiff, tightly weawed linen twill sheet on Tradera. The outer layer will probably be a candy pink silk taffeta and I will use ANNELI in black and withe for the lining. I have not decided on the binding trim yet but it will probably be bias tape cut from the outer fabric.

4. Projects on hold

Remember the pretty pink striped fabric I scored earlier?



I have decided on a project for it. It will become a real polonaise with inspiration from Galerie des Modes, mainly this one:

But I will change the petticoat a bit, I'm not very pleased with the strange fold that are above the white frill. This project are put on hold until my economy allows me to splurge on the mother load of silk organza that are needed for all the trims.

Well that's all folks. I hope to get back soon with some pictures of a finished pocket ;)

/L

5 comments:

  1. Deadlines are awful! I've had them two in a row now, and even if I didn't have to sew like crazy, it's still streeful. And why do that when one sew just for the pleasure? :-)

    The pink jaquard looks great! And making hats are an excellent way to feel acomplished, as they are so quick to make. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on avoiding deadlines - sounds like an excellent anti-stress plan!

    That damask looks divine - I can't wait to see more of it and your other projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some great projects ahead of you and without stressing for deadlines I'm sure you will enjoy every one of them. And I, and many with me, will enjoy reading about them! Isn't a new fresh year something wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  4. good heavens that damask is GORGEOUS! /jealous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isis >>
    Exactly what M said to me after the ball, "If this is your hobby shouldn't it be fun and make you feel relaxed?" First I wanted to chew his head of but then I realized that he was right.

    Yeah, I really are in love with that damask...:) And I have an awesome idea for the hat decor :D

    gentlewomanthief >>
    Yup, no more stress, costuming is supposed to be fun :P

    And yes I utterly adore the damask. I'm so looking forward to make something out of it :)

    Mdme Berg >>
    I hope you will enjoy reading about them as much as I enjoy making them :)
    And it feels great to have a whole fresh year to work with :)

    Lauren >>
    Awww, thank you :)
    I wished there were more, than I could have sold a piece of it to you :)

    ReplyDelete